Headquartered at IUPUI
Locations on 8 IU Campuses

Travel Fellowship Application

Travel fellowships of up to $1,000 per student are available to assist full-time graduate students enrolled in the PhD Program at IUSSW with their travel expenses to a conference.  Travel fellowships of up to $2,000 may be awarded for travel to conferences outside of the U.S. for students who are presenting a scholarly paper/poster.   Students may apply for travel funds for presenting a paper/poster or for attending a scholarly conference in the USA.  Depending on the availability of funds, priority may be given to students who are presenting.  Generally, fellowships will be limited to one per student per year. However, if funds allow, students  may request a second fellowship per year. University Fellowship recipients should use their travel funding from the Graduate Office before applying for these funds. 


  • Listed as the first author on an oral or poster presentation
  • Presenting refereed or invited papers/posters
  • Presenting at a national conference
  • In good standing in the PhD program

Apply Now!


If your Travel Fellowship application is approved, you will receive an approval email message.   

  1. Once you receive approval, you need to “create a travel authorization" in the Travel Expense Module online system.  The Purchasing and Travel Expense Modules is accessible through One.IU (keyword” Travel Arrangements”). Submit the trip for routing.
  2. See Ali to use the school’s credit card to pay the conference registration fee. 
  3. Once the trip is authorized through the system, it will be assigned a TEM document #.
  4. Once a TEM document # has been assigned,  proceed to the Travel Management website (accessible through The Purchasing and Travel Expense Modules) to arrange online hotel and airline reservations.   You must use the Egencia and Hotel.com sites from within the Travel Management website to have your airline and hotel expenses paid for using the university account.  You have the option to pay for your hotel and airfare using your own method of payment, and then turning in the receipts after the trip.
  5. Keep track of your receipts for the hotel, airfare, baggage fees, registration, and ground transportation.  You do not need to turn in receipts for meals since the per diem is a set amount for different cities. 
  6. To request per diem, you must have a hotel receipt with your name on it showing the dates that you stayed at the hotel.
  7. After the trip, go to My Trips at One.IU and choose the appropriate Travel Authorization to open.  After opening the TA scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “New Reimbursement” button.
  8. If you need training to use the new travel system go to http://go.iu.edu/asktodd.

If you have any questions please contact Carolyn Realey crealey@iupui.edu.