MSW Program Overview
No matter which campus students choose to attend, students will complete 16 courses and two practicum experiences totaling 60 credit hours to graduate. Coursework in the MSW program consists of several different content areas: theory, research, policy and practice. Each campus offers different schedule choices and specialization options for MSW students to complete the degree.
- Full-time day program (2 years) - IUPUI
- Part-time evening program (3-4 years) - IUPUI, IUN, IUSB, IUE, IPFW
- Part-time Saturday program (3-4 years) - IUPUI
- Advanced standing accelerated program for recent BSW undergraduates (12 months) - IUPUI
- Advanced standing part-time programs (2 years) - IUPUI, IUN, IUSB, IUE, IPFW
- Child Welfare Scholars Program - IUPUI, IUN, IUSB, IUE, IPFW
Social work is a dynamic profession concerned with the changing needs of people and society. To respond to such needs, the faculty, students, members of the practice community, and others regularly review the curriculum of the School of Social Work.
The MSW program consists of 60 credit hours of study and fieldwork. The first 15 credits are referred to as the Foundation curriculum. The second 15 credits serve as a bridge to concentrations and are called Intermediate courses. The third group of credits provides a Concentration of study in child welfare, school social work, mental health & addictions, health, and social work leadership. Although the school values knowledge gained from life experience, academic credit cannot be granted for non-academic activities.
Immersion and Foundation Courses
SWK-S 501 Professional Social Work at the Masters Level: An Immersion
- SWK-S 502 Research I
- SWK-S 503 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SWK-S 504 Professional Practice Skills I
- SWK-S 505 Social Policy Analysis and Practice
(Advanced Standing students begin with these courses)
- SWK-S 513 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
- SWK-S 514 Practice with Individuals, Families and Groups
- SWK-S 516 Social Work Practice II: Organizations, Communities, Societies
- SWK-S 517 Assessment in Mental Health and Addictions
- SWK-S 555 Social Work Practicum I (320 total hours)