IUPUI Indianapolis Advanced Standing Overview
Students eligible for advanced standing in the MSW program have received a BSW within the past five years. Students without a BSW within the past five years are eligible for regular standing admission.
Direct questions about the application process to:
Admission to the MSW program is a multi-step process. Each step must be completed before moving on to next the step.
Application Deadline Dates
- The final Advanced Standing Accelerated and Part-time cohort's deadline is Friday, January 27th, 2017.
- The final Advanced Standing Full-time cohort deadline is Friday, June 30th, 2017.
Applicants Please Note:
- Advanced Standing applications received after January 27th, 2017 will not be considered for the 2017-2018 academic year. All persons who graduated with BSW degrees in the last 5 years, since 2012, must apply for Advanced Standing.
- International applications from accredited BSW programs must also meet the January 27th, 2017 deadline.
The IU Graduate Office Application (Step 3) requires payment to complete the online application. The fee is $60.
If you are accepted to IUSSW you will be asked to submit a $100 deposit to hold your place in the program. Upon enrollment, the deposit will be credited toward your tuition. If you do not attend classes in 2017, you will forfeit your deposit.
Step 1: Read the Requirements & Policies
The following items are the minimum requirements for consideration for admission:
- Evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a recognized regional accrediting association, by providing an official transcript showing verification of the degree.
- Evidence of course work in liberal arts, demonstrated by the successful completion of a minimum of six courses in social or behavioral sciences. Courses are accepted from the following disciplines: Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Human Services, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology. Statistics will count toward the six if it was taken in a social science department.
Applicants who are unclear whether a course will be accepted as a social or behavioral science prerequisite course are encouraged to seek pre-approval. This may be done by submitting a syllabus or a course description photocopied from a school bulletin. A syllabus is preferable. Please send materials to Yvonne Fitzgerald | email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Evidence of successful completion of one course in statistics. This course can be taken in any discipline and on any level (graduate or undergraduate) so long as it was taken at an accredited college or university. The school does not recommend any specific course. The course may be taken pass/fail unless a course grade is needed for an applicant’s undergraduate degree. See the pre-approved statistics course list (PDF, > 1MB). Applicants who are unclear whether a course will be accepted as a statistics prerequisite course are encouraged to seek pre-approval. See above for pre-approval process.
An earned cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the final 60 credit hours (or 90 quarter hours) of the degree.
IUSSW recognizes that every applicant has not necessarily enjoyed the same access to and opportunities for undergraduate education. However, it is necessary that an applicant address the issues that impacted their lower GPA. The MSW application will have a field for you to request a wavier to the 3.0 GPA requirement. Please indicate why you will now be able to be successful at the graduate level.
Admission to the Master of Social Work program is a very competitive process. Simply meeting the minimum requirements listed above does not guarantee admission.
Step 2: Complete Documentation & Select References
All of the following documents and information are needed to upload into the IU School of Social Work MSW Program application.
The acceptable formats are PDF, RTF, DOCX and DOC for all of the following.
Request Official Transcript(s)
Be prepared to upload official transcript for conferred bachelor’s degree. Include all transcripts for undergraduate credits, including transfer credits, of applicant’s last 60 credit/90 quarter hours. Also attach official transcript(s) for any graduate coursework or degrees.
If transcript is from a clearinghouse, please print document and scan document as a different file before uploading. Be aware when ordering transcripts from clearinghouses that they expire after 30 days and are then locked.
Mark out the social security number and birth date before uploading the documents into the application.
Calculate the last 60 credit hours or 90 quarter hours of undergraduate degree. The folllowing GPA calculator can assist you with helping calculate the GPA.
Select Three Professional References
Identify three professional references who are willing to complete an electronic web form. An email will be sent to each referee upon final submission of your online application with a link to complete a reference for you. Make sure you have your reference’s proper email address. The referee will be asked to upload a letter of recommendation or directly insert text into the electronic form.
Here is an example of the email that is sent to the referee.
Step 3: Complete the Online IUPUI Indianapolis Graduate Office Application
Every applicant must submit an online application with the University Graduate Office. This application must be submitted prior to the School of Social Work MSW application. It is used for collection of demographic information and registration access to the IU computer system, as well as to collect the payment of the application fee assessed by the university. Your online application to the MSW program will not be processed without completion of the online graduate office application and payment of the online application fee of $60.
Graduate Office Admissions Application process:
- When completing the online graduate office application, do not write entirely in lowercase or in caps when entering your application information.
- Use correct punctuation.
- When you go into the graduate office application you are asked many questions. This includes tabs such as personal, additional, application and departmental information. Please DO NOT jump forward in the graduate office application as fields will change with certain options.
- For the Graduate Office Application only enter what is required. Non-required fields in the form do not need content.
- You will need the following from the Graduate Office Application for the IU School of Social Work's online application :
- Application Number
The number can be found in the upper right hand corner of the application. The following is an example:
- Completion date of the online graduate office application
- Application Number
In the Application Information tab choose the following:
- What type of degree do you intend to pursue? Masters
- Academic Program: Social Work (MSW)
- Academic Plan: Social Work MSW
- Are you applying to a dual degree program? Your Choice
- When do you wish to enroll? Fall 20xx
The graduate office application can be accessed by the following link:
Step #4: Complete the IU School of Social Work Application
You must have Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 completed before you start this application.
In the event that you discover you need to retrieve additional information or materials, you will be given the opportunity to save your progress and continue later. In this case, a special link will be emailed to you which allows you to continue the application where you left off.
Only by clicking "Submit" will the system send the referees their emails. The submit button is at the bottom of the "Review Your Application" (page 8 of 8) webpage.
Step #5: Ensure Total Completion
After submitting the IU School of Social Work application you will be sent two emails. The first email will contain the entire application you submitted. The second email will give you information about the progress of your application, including whether or not your referees have completed their references. Your application will not be reviewed until all references are submitted. The following is an example of the application progress email you will receive:
Application Progress Email (Keep on file to track your progress)
Hello First-name Last-name,
Thank you, First-name, for submitting your Master of Social Work application. Requests for references have been sent to the following persons:
- Reference #1 First-name Last-name - email@example.com
- Reference #2 First-name Last-name - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference #3 First-name Last-name - email@example.com
You can monitor the progress of your application at your personal applicant portal: MSW Application Portal
Please note that your application will not be submitted for consideration until your references have been submitted.
If you have any questions, please contact the IU School of Social Work at Kristina Dhonau or (317) 274-8364.
MSW Application Portal website link
The "MSW Application Portal" hyperlink, in the above email example, will show the progress of your references.
You can go to the page as many times as needed to view the referee progress. It is up to you as a potential applicant to call or email the referee to complete the reference.
Step #6: Receive the Application Completion Notice
When all three references are complete the system will send you an email. The email will state the following:
Your application is COMPLETE and has been SUBMITTED!
Thank you for your application to the IU School of Social Work MSW Program. All references and supporting materials have been received with your formal application. At this time, no further changes can be made or accepted to your application.
If you feel there was an error or have questions or concerns, please email Kristina Dhonau or call us at (317) 274-8364.
IU School of Social Work
Step #7: Wait for the Admission Decision
Thank you for submitting your application to Indiana University School of Social Work. Your application will be reviewed by the admissions committee in the order it is received. Watch your email for receipt of your admission decision.
If admitted, you will be notified of a mandatory orientation on campus.