Ivy Tech Transfers
The IU School of Social Work accepts many Ivy Tech transfer students each year. The steps below outline the process for you to be accepted into the IU BSW Program at IUPUI. Please feel free to call our office at 317-274-5447 to schedule an advising appointment
Step 1: Apply to Indiana University IUPUI
The first step in transferring from Ivy Tech to IUPUI is to apply for admission. You first must be admitted to IUPUI to be able to be accepted into the BSW Program. The priority dates for IUPUI admission are below:
IUPUI Admission Application Deadlines
- For Summer Sessions the deadline is March 15th
- For the Fall Semester the deadline is May 1st
- For the Spring Semester the deadline is November 1st
For more information about applying to IUPUI, visit the Admissions site at https://www.iupui.edu/admissions/apply.html . During this transfer process, your credits will be reviewed and decisions will be made about how courses you took at Ivy Tech will transfer to IUPUI. Please note that it may take 4 to 8 weeks to process your admission to IU Bloomington, so make sure you begin the process as early as possible so you do not miss registration or BSW application dates.
Step 2: Apply to the BSW Program
After you have applied for admission to IUPUI, you may begin the process of applying to the BSW program. You must be accepted to IUPUI before you can be accepted into the BSW program.
Enrollment in the BSW program requires formal admission to the Indiana University School of Social Work. The following are the minimum requirements for consideration for admission to the program:
- Regular admission to Indiana University.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Satisfactory completion (grade of C or better) of the required course SWK-S 141 Introduction to Social Work. Ivy Tech students who have completed HUMS 101 Intro to Human Services are given transfer credit for this course.
- A minimum cumulative (this includes all GPAs from other colleges and universities that the student has attended) grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of Application for Admission to the BSW Program packet.
- Evidence of characteristics or potential required of competent social work practitioners as defined in the mission statement of the School. Such evidence may be derived from application materials, letters of reference, pertinent work or volunteer experience, and performance in SWK-S 141 Introduction to Social Work.
The IUPUI School of Social Work accepts applications only in the spring. Applications must be received by May 15th to be considered for the Fall semester. Applications received after this dates may be reviewed depending upon availability for spaces in the program but are not guaranteed review for the following semester.
You can find our current application on our BSW Program Application webpage.
Step 3: Plan Your Program
Upon admission to the BSW Program, we will create an individualized educational plan for you to complete all the general and supportive requirements, as well as the professional social work required coursework, to be ready to graduate. In the application packet, you will be asked to specify the number of credits you wish to take each semester, as well as whether you choose to take summer courses. Based on those choices, your educational plan will be created, placed in your acceptance packet and discussed with you at your first advising session.